Friday, January 16, 2009

Hudson vs. Hathaway

So, in the upcoming movie Bride Wars Kate Hudson & Anne Hathaway duke it out over their wedding, and even though there is no conflict over fashion between the two I thought I might comment on my thoughts if there were.

Both actresses have been attending various premieres and awards shows and making appearances on television - like any other celebrity - wearing some... interesting fashion choices. For the Bride Wars photocall both celebs choice an all black attire, which in my opinion was a good choice. Black is a go-to color when it comes to formal-casual-ish events -- especially all black. Its the perfect way to look classy, sophisticated, and down to earth and the same time.

Photobucket

Usually I am kind of skeptical about Anne's clothing but this outfit I quite like. It seems like she is channeling her inner Miranda Priesley and it suits her well. I like her outfit because it is very casual but she finds small ways to make it look a bit more business-like; for instance, her sparkling jewlery (necklace, earrings, bangles) and her too-cute-for-words little black booties. I can't get enough of ankle booties, especially on celebs since they obviously know how to pull everything off better than any average joe ever could. But although Anne's outfit is super-cute, I've got to give it to Kate on this one. I love the business-woman-celebrity style she went with. I love high-waisted skirts, pencil skirts, and leather and she pulled it all together with one item! I also really admire the way that a simple black dress shirt can look if you put it in the right light, which I'd like to think she did with her outfit choice. Plus, red lipstick, big hoops, and black pumps are definitely my Marilyn/Christina have-to-have items that personally I think can make any outfit look chic. Love it, love it, love it.

Photobucket

For the New York premiere of the movie Anne chose a similar outfit to what she wore to the photocall while Kate went for something different. Although I agree that when you find a look that works for you its a good idea to use it often, variety is always a better option overall because not only do you get to play around with different things but -duh!- it lets everybody around you see how gorgeous you look in different ways! I'll never stop them from seeing my different styles of beauty, but thats just me. Anyways, I really like the dress that Kate picked. Its chic and stylish but not too over the top. B&W is also a good choice for those formal-casual-ish events. It's always been around and it will continue to always be around, making it a staple of fashion. I love the mermaid style dress as well, especially with her swept back updo hairstyle; if only I could go back and redo my senior prom I would have definitely went with an option like this one. Not only does the dress have different dementions, it fits like a glove to it is the perfect choice to show off your curves - assuming that you have them. Although I think that this style could work with more thin people also.This type of dress was everywhere on the red carpet for the Golden Globes. Some people don't prefer it but I think that this trend will stick around for awhile. The only thing Anne really changed about her outfit was her hair, and I do not think that was a good thing. I do like the high high slicked back ponytail look, but with all black it reminds me of those Alien chicks from Dude Where's My Car. Not a good thing. This type of style is iffy to me because you really have to do it right in order to pull it off, which is clearly hard to do if celebs with professional stylists can't even do it. Other than the hair I think that the all black outfit works for her again. I would've liked to see more of a difference but I'm pretty sure she'll have plenty of events to wear different styles to.

Photobucket

This dress I love on Kate (from the People's Choice Awards). It's california-casual style but also formal and the color is my favorite color so I can't knock it! Plus, oh my god did you see her shoes???

Photobucket

Love 'em. This is definitely an A+++ outfit choice. She pulls it off perfectly because it is her signature laid-back and fun style. Slits, blues, pumps, and blonde hair are four of my favorite things so this outfit in my opinion is p.e.r.f.e.c.t.

Photobucket

I liked this dress on Anne also. Even though when she accepted her award at the Critic's choice awards she almost had a panic attack, she looked radiant while doing it in this dress! I really like block-colored clothing and like I said before, B&W is always a good option. I also give her points for the belt. Some celebs never think to add a belt to their outfit when sometimes it is the only thing that could pull it all together. Overall, good choice Hathaway!

No comments: